Welcome to the Online Training Portal
Members: Login to enroll in and begin your online training courses.
Non-Members: You must purchase an All Access Pass to enroll in and take online courses.
Price: $699 (1-year access) - Group subscriptions: contact us>.
The All Access Pass one-year subscription enables you to take the online courses whenever and wherever you want. Course Gradebooks indicate progress through your courses and enable you to print Course Certificates upon successful completion. Course documents include Student Guides and trace files (for most cases).
Enter your email address below to receive All Access Pass Event Notifications.
- New Course: Wireshark 101 Labs (Second Edition) - Wireshark 2 is stable enough to start updating all the AAP content to this version. No more GTK+ interface, folks - we're now all Qt (pronounced "cute"). This 4-hour course (4 CPE credits) has the results of the 46 labs covered in the Second Edition of the Wireshark 101 book. The book is going to press this week (September 2016) and should be on shelves/Amazon/Kindle within a couple weeks.
- New Course: Network Forensics with Wireshark - This 8-hour course (8 CPE credits) covers the essentials (network forensics methdology, essential Wireshark skills, locating the suspicious traffic) and includes the analysis of numerous malicious trace files from Laura's collection and from malware-traffic-analysis.net (Brad Duncan). Sections of interest include:
- Methodology and Wireshark Use (User Alerts/IDS Alerts)
- String-matching capture filters
- Network Forensics Profile (available for download in the course docs section)
- Using the Expert to Detect Anomalies
- Carving and Object Reassembly
- GeoIP Mapping
- Regex Filters
- Anomaly Locations
- Methodology and Wireshark Use (User Alerts/IDS Alerts)
Sharkfest US 2017 - June 17-22 - Mark Your Calendar
- Location: East Coast, US - exact location to be announced soon
- Three-day pre-event "Troubleshooting with Wireshark" by Laura Chappell - June 17-19, 2017
- Registration opening December 2016
New Course Formats and Video Previews
- We've moved to a new format starting with Course number CS65. The new MP4 format is compatible on multiple browsers on various operating systems including Windows, Mac, and Linux. MP4 delivers high quality video at smaller file sizes. In addition, the new format offers full-screen capability. Simply click the full-screen icon on the control bar to view the video in maximized format. .
- Network Forensics with Wireshark (Wireshark v2) - In August 2016, Laura offered a live 4-hour "Network Forensics with Wireshark" course to the AAP members. Rather than record the live event, she bulked up the content with extra materials (such as Methodology and Wireshark Use, String-Matching Capture Filters, and use of Snort and Suricata logs) to build out a full 8-hour course. Learn to correlate IDS logs with traffic captures and build a network forensics profile to streamline Wireshark for your forensic investigations.
- Wireshark Display Filters Tips and Tricks (Wireshark Functionality and Tips Category) [CPE: 1.0] Learn new display filtering techniques including filtering based on fields /strings, using the dreaded "!=" operator, and building offset (and bit-level) filters. This course includes two Notepad++ macros that you can use to convert coloring rules to Filter Expression buttons and convert Filter Expression buttons to coloring rules.
- Regular Expressions (Regex) Primer (Wireshark Functionality and Tips) [CPE: 2.0] Learn to use Regular Expressions (Regex) with your Wireshark display filters to detect key words, decimal and hex values, email addresses, IP addresses and more. In addition. Laura covers the numerous Wireshark PCRE Regex "issues" and work-arounds.
- 10 Essential Wireshark Skills ("Wireshark Functionality and Tips" Category) [CPE: 1.5] Follow along as Laura demonstrates 10 cool skills including host name extraction, key word searching with Regex, export to .csv format, TCP delta graphing, filter expression buttons and profile importing.
- [To be replaced soon with Wireshark v2 version] CS48: Wireshark Jumpstart (Replaces CS41) ("Wireshark Functionality and Tips" Category) [CPE: 1.5] If you joined Gerald Combs and Laura Chappell for this event, you know it was packed with Wireshark tips and techniques. Laura recorded all the Jumpstart demonstrations for this course. The Event Notes 60-page booklet is in the course "Documents" section.
- [Wireshark v1 and Wireshark v2 Editions Now Available] Lab Solutions - Wireshark 101: Essential Skills for Network Analysis ("Book Courses" Category) [CPE: 3] 46 videos - over 3 hours of training - covering the solutions to all labs in the Wireshark 101 book/ebook/instructor-led course. The Wireshark 101 book is available in paperback/ebook format through Amazon. Wireshark 101: Essential Skills for Network Analysis - Second Edition ("Book Courses" Category) [CPE: 4] This is the updated version of the Wireshark 101 Labs course that focuses on Wireshark v2.
Login and select Enroll in Classes to access these courses. Most courses include a Certificate of Completion.
Wireshark Tip o' the Day @laurachappell
Laura tweeted 100 Wireshark Tip o' the Day via @laurachappell! You can get the entire tip list here.
Train Your Team Onsite
Did you know you can bring Laura Chappell onsite for training? Get an entire team up to speed on basic through advanced Wireshark and network analysis techniques to find performance problems fast.
Check out the sample 2-day and 5-day course outlines and learn more about the ultimate Wireshark training experience.
Note that courses can be shortened or lengthened to meet your needs. Use these sample course outlines as a starting point for your customized course.
Visit the Chappell University Onsite page to learn more about onsite offerings and schedule your onsite course today.
Where Do I Start?
We know there are a LOT of classes in the All Access Pass training portal. This leads to the question... "Where do I start?"
The answer depends on your familiarity with Wireshark and TCP/IP communications.